Friday, May 18, 2012

My Sennheiser MKH 416 Review - The Movie and Voice-Over Mic

Sennheiser-mkh416p48
The Sennheiser MKH 416 is my new favorite mic.  I got to use one for a couple of weeks thanks to B&H Photo-Video-Audio, who sent it to me to review.  I'm actually a bit sad to have to send it back.  But as soon as the old budget allows, as Will Smith said in Independence Day - "I have got to get me one of these!"
The mic is well known in the Film, TV and voice-over industries.  I used it on a couple of actual voice-over gigs, plus I tested it as a video mic outdoors on a windy day.  For that last test I also reviewed the Rycote Softie Windshield, which looks like a cat pelt that you slip over the mic to reduce (which this thing does REALLY well) that rumbly wind noise.
There are audio samples (the MKH 416 vs my Rode NT2-A on voice-over stuff) as well as 4 video samples comparing the on-board camcorder mic to the sound of the 416 plugged into the camera both with and without the wind shield.
Check it out here: www.homebrewaudio.com/sennheiser-mkh-416-shotgun-microphone-review

No comments:

Post a Comment